Auto Accident Advice - What to do at the scene
What should I do after an auto accident. If you are the driver:
- Stop your car and get help for the injured.
- If there are injuries or substantial property damage, ask someone to call the police or highway patrol.
- Provide police with the information they require. Ask the investigating officer where to obtain a copy of the police report. You will probably need it.
- Take notes. Keep a pad and pencil in your glove compartment. Write down the following items:
--- Names, addresses and phone numbers of all drivers and passengers involved in the accident
--- Car license numbers, make and model of each car involved
--- Operator's drivers license number and insurance identification number
--- Names and addresses of as many witnesses as possible
--- Names and badge numbers of police officers
- Record the details of the accident while they are fresh in your memory. Draw a diagram to recreate the scene. We recommend that you carry a small disposal camera in your car and photograph the accident scene.
- At the moment of crisis call Farmers service at 1-800-435-7764 for assistance when you need it most.
If you are the passenger:
- If you are injured, get prompt medical attention.
- Collect all your belongings from the damaged car.
- Get the name, address and phone number of the driver and his/her insurance company.
- Save all medical bills and receipts.