In the good ol' days, before the Internet came on the scene, finding inexpensive auto insurance was like looking for a needle in a haystack. You had to spend hours on end visiting local insurance agents or calling them on the phone to get enough quotes to get an inexpensive policy. Now, thanks to the Internet, getting quotes is a piece of cake.
You have two choices when it comes to getting auto insurance quotes online - you can go from one single-company site to another, or you can go to an insurance comparison website. The advantages of using an insurance comparison website are:
* Multiple companies compete for your business, not just one.
* You only have to fill out one questionnaire, not one for every site.
* It will only take you a few minutes, not a few hours.
* The better sites only give out quotes from A-rated companies, not fly-by-nights.
* The best sites have insurance experts on call so you can get unbiased answers to your insurance questions. (See link below.)
Because auto insurance rates can vary by hundreds of dollars from one company to the next for the same insurance, comparing rates at an insurance comparison website is by far the best way to get inexpensive auto insurance.
Discounts and Deductibles
Once you find a company with the best rate, you can lower your rate even further by doing the following:
* Raise your deductible. Raising your deductible from $250 to $500 can save you up to 30% on your yearly premium. Raising it to $1,000 can save you up to 50%. Just make sure you can pay your deductible if you need to file a claim.
* Drop your collision coverage. If you drive an older car consider dropping your collision coverage, especially if your car is worth less than the cost of your insurance plus your deductible.
* Consolidate your policies. Purchasing your homeowners and auto insurance through the same company can save you 10% to 15% on your yearly premiums.
* Get discounts. Auto insurance companies offer discounts to their customers for a variety of reasons. Ask about all the discounts that are available and take advantage of all the ones you're eligible for.