Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance

Posted by Safe In4 Hub

Auto Insurance and Learner's Permits

April 11, 2007You've received your learner's permit. Congratulations! You are on your way to being a fully licensed driver with all of the privileges and responsibilities that come with it. One of the responsibilities that comes along with driving is being an insured driver. All drivers should be insured to protect themselves, others, and the vehicle they are driving in case of an accident. Depending on your situation, you may or may not need to get your own auto insurance when you get your permit to be covered.

Since all states have different laws when it comes to auto insurance, the following are just guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Check into your state's insurance laws and your individual insurance company's policies for specifics.

Minors and Dependents

Depending on your situation, you may not have to get your own insurance when you have your permit. The majority of people who get their learner's permits are teenagers who are still living with their parents/legal guardians. If you are a dependent of someone who has auto insurance, you are usually covered under his policy without having to be added to the policy.

Your guardian should read over his policy and double check with his insurance agent to make sure that this is the case with his auto insurance. Once you obtain your full license, you will need to be placed on your guardian's policy or get your own policy.

Those Living with a Spouse or Significant Other

If you are no longer living with your parents or guardians, but you are living with a spouse or significant other (and in some cases, simply a roommate) who has auto insurance, you may be able to get coverage under that person's policy. Since the rules of a learner's permit require you to drive with a licensed driver at all times, chances are that person will be someone you live with.

Have him read over his policy or check with his insurance agent to find out if you can be covered under his insurance. You also should find out if you need to be put on the policy or if you are covered without your name being on the policy.

Going It Alone ? Getting Your Own Policy with Just Your Permit

It is not easy to get an auto insurance policy in your own name when you just have a learner's permit, but it is possible. If you are over 16 years old, there are some companies that do offer insurance to those holding learner's permits. The policies usually have strict requirements and come at a very high rate. It may take contacting several insurance companies before you find one that can accommodate your needs. If at all possible, it is to your best advantage to try to get covered under a licensed driver's policy instead of obtaining your own.

Copyright (C) 2017 by

Donah Shine

Head Master

Address: 5636 Lemon Ave.
Dallas TX 75209

Phone: +1 214 5203694