What Should You Do If You're In An Accident?
1. Get the name, address, and phone number of each driver involved. Also, be sure to get their auto insurance policy numbers and phone numbers for their insurance companies. Do not discuss the details of the accident with the other people involved. You should only discuss the details with the police and your insurance company or agent.
2. Call the police as soon as possible. If the accident is serious enough to cause injuries, call an ambulance if you can.
3. Don't move your vehicle unless instructed to do so by the police or paramedics.
4. It is a good idea to keep a camera in your vehicle to take pictures of the accident scene.
5. If your state isn't a no-fault state and someone else causes the accident, file a claim with their insurance company, not your own. You should only file a claim with your insurance company if:
A) The person who caused the accident is uninsured or underinsured
B) The insurance company of the person who caused the accident refuses to pay your damages.
C) You are cited as at fault by the police or no one was cited.