Creating a safe and comfortable home environment plays an important role in ensuring better quality of life for people with dementia. The fundamental purpose of a dementia-friendly home is to compensate for the effects of dementia and to support retained function and skills.
The home environment will contribute significantly to the quality of life for people with dementia when it
- provides balanced and controlled stimulation
- provides features that assist orientation
- maximises success, self-esteem and confidence
- promotes involvement in everyday activity
- supports relationships with family, friends and the community
- provides unobtrusive security.