Tissue Expansion Pros and Cons
- offers a near-perfect match of skin color, texture, and sensation
- less risk of tissue loss because the skin remains connected to its blood and nerve supply
- scars are less noticeable than with skin flaps or skin grafts
- expansion can take as long as 3 to 4 months
- expander creates what may be considered an unsightly bulge while in place (fine for breast reconstruction, but undesirable in facial reconstruction)
- requires repeated trips to your surgeon for saline injections to further inflate the expander
This information provided for educational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. For medical questions, Consult a physician.