What does plastic surgery include?
Plastic surgery includes both reconstructive and aesthetic (cosmetic) procedures:
- reconstructive plastic surgery
- This type of surgery is usually performed to improve function, but may also be performed to approximate a normal appearance.
- In general, reconstructive surgery is performed on abnormal structures of the body that may be caused by the following:
- developmental abnormalities
- congenital (present at birth) anomalies
- cosmetic (aesthetic) plastic surgery
- Cosmetic surgery is performed to repair or reshape otherwise normal structures of the body, generally, to improve appearance.
This information provided for educational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice. For medical questions, Consult a physician.